Here is a list of the 10 largest asset management companies in Canada ranked by total assets under management.
1. Manulife Investment Management is the largest money manager in Canada with total assets under management of US$396 billion. The firm operates in more than 15 countries including the United States, Canada, Singapore, China, Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Brazil, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Switzerland and the United Kingdom. It is a subsidiary of Manulife Financial Corporation.
Total AUM: US$396 billion (06/30/2019)
2. TD Asset Management (TDAM) is a bank-owned asset manager established in 1987. It is the second largest asset manager in Canada managing more than $390 billion in assets on behalf of institutional and retail investors. AUM include TD Asset Management Inc., TDAM USA, Epoch Investment Partners and TD Greystone Asset Management. TD Asset Management is a member of The Toronto-Dominion Bank.
Total AUM: US$391 billion (06/30/2019)
3. Brookfield Asset Management Inc, founded in 1899, is an alternative asset management firm headquartered in Toronto. The company focuses on real estate, infrastructure, renewable power and private equity. It has a presence in 30 countries including offices in New York, London, Dubai (UAE), Shanghai (China), Rio de Janeiro (Brazil) and Sydney (Australia).
Total AUM: US$385 billion (06/30/2019)
4. RBC Global Asset Management (RBC GAM) is one of Canada’s largest investment management firms responsible for over $350 billion in assets under management. It employs around 1,450 staff across North America, Asia and Europe. The company includes such institutional money managers as PH&N Investment Services (known as Phillips, Hager & North Investment Funds Ltd) and BlueBay Asset Management. RBC GAM is a subsidiary of Royal Bank of Canada.
Total AUM: US$350 billion (06/30/2019)
5. BMO Global Asset Management and its subsidiary F&C Asset Management provides services in 14 countries through about 25 offices and 4 regional hubs in Toronto, Chicago, London, and Hong Kong. BMO GAM is part of BMO Financial Group.
Total AUM: US$320 billion (12/31/2018)
6. Caisse de depot et placement du Quebec (CDPQ), established in 1965, is one of the largest institutional fund managers in Canada. It manages the funds of over 40 depositor groups. CDPQ has a presence in 8 countries and among the leading global investors. It has offices in Montreal, Quebec, New York, Washington, Mexico, London, Paris, New Delhi, Shanghai, Singapore and Sydney.
Total AUM: US$245 billion (06/30/2019)
7. CIBC Asset Management Inc (CAM) provides a range of high-quality multi-asset class investment solutions. In September 2017, the company launched Long-Term Private Debt Pool for institutional investors. CIBC Asset Management operates as a subsidiary of Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce.
Total AUM: US$130 billion (04/30/2019)
8. IGM Financial Inc, headquartered in Winnipeg, Manitoba, is a premier wealth and asset manager in Canada operating through IG Wealth Management, Mackenzie Investments and Investment Planning Counsel. IGM Financial is a member of Power Corporation of Canada.
Total AUM: US$122 billion (08/31/2019)
9. Fiera Capital Corporation, based in Montreal, Quebec, is one of the leading independent asset management firms in Canada with more than 600 employees. It has international offices in New York, Boston, Los Angeles, Dayton, London, Isle of Man, Frankfurt, Hong Kong and Singapore.
Total AUM: US$114 billion (06/30/2019)
10. CI Financial Corp, located in Toronto, Ontario, is one of the leading wealth management and investment fund companies in Canada with about 1,600 employees. The company’s main subsidiaries are CI Investments, Assante Wealth Management (Canada), BBS Securities, CI Private Counsel, GSFM Pty and WealthBar Financial Services.
Total AUM: US$99 billion (07/31/2019)