The assets under management (AUM) for the hedge fund industry are approximately $3.0 trillion (excluding managed futures AUM) according to BarclayHedge Ltd. Below is a list of the top 10 hedge funds in the world in terms of discretionary AUM. 8 out of the top 10 largest hedge fund managers are located in the United States.
1. Bridgewater Associates LP is the largest hedge fund in the world with more than $120 billion in hedge fund AUM. The company’s total funds under management reached $160 billion as of February 2019. Bridgewater serves global institutional clients including pension funds, university endowments, wealthiest charitable foundations, supranational organizations, sovereign investment funds (or sovereign wealth funds) as well as central banks. The firm was established in 1975 by Ray Dalio and employs about 1,700 people.
Headquarters: One Glendinning Place, Westport, CT 06880, USA
AQR Capital Management
2. AQR Capital Management is the world's second biggest hedge fund with about 80 billion in discretionary AUM. The firm's total assets under management amounted to $196 billion as of January 30, 2019. AQR was named "Hedge Fund Trading Desk of the Year" by Markets Media in 2018. AQR is a global quantitative investment manager founded in 1998 by Cliff Asness, David Kabiller, Robert Krail and John Liew. Today the company employs over 900 people and operates seven offices in Greenwich, Los Angeles, Boston, Chicago, London, Sydney and Hong Kong. In April 2018, AQR launched its first fixed-income mutual fund in the United States.
Headquarters: Two Greenwich Plaza, 3rd Floor, Greenwich, CT 06830, USA
3. Renaissance Technologies LLC is an American quantitative hedge fund headquartered in New York. The firm was established by James Simons in 1982 and currently run by Peter Brown. Renaissance is the world's most profitable hedge fund providing products and services to pooled investment vehicles, corporations and financial institutions. The company controls over $55 billion in hedge fund AUM.
Headquarters: 600 Route 25A, East Setauket, New York 11733, USA
4. Man Group is a British investment management firm providing alternative and private markets products. The company is the world's biggest publicly-traded hedge fund with hedge fund AUM of $53 billion. The total funds under management amounted to $114.1 billion as of September 30, 2018. Headquartered in London, it operates offices in New York, Boston, Charlotte, Stamford, Liechtenstein, Switzerland, Hong Kong, Tokyo and Sydney. The Group's market capitalization was US$2.8 billion as of February 20, 2019.
Headquarters: Riverbank House, 2 Swan Lane, London, EC4R 3AD, UK
Two Sigma Investments
5. Two Sigma Investments is an American hedge fund offering the scientific methods to investment management. It is one of the largest quantitative hedge funds with $52 billion in assets under management. The company was established in 2001 and is headquartered in New York with additional offices in the UK, Hong Kong and Japan.
Headquarters: 100 Avenue of the Americas, 16th Floor, New York, NY 10013, USA
6. Elliott Management Corporation is an American privately owned hedge fund founded by Paul Singer in 1977. The company invests in the public equity, fixed income, and alternative investment markets. Elliott Management is a leading multi-strategy private investment firm and the world's largest and most successful activist hedge fund with $35 billion in assets under management. The firm is headquartered in New York with an additional office in London, UK.
Headquarters: 40 West 57th Street, New York, NY 10019, USA
7. Millennium Management, established in 1989, is a global hedge fund firm offering discretionary investment advisory services to private funds. With over 2,400 employees, the company is based in New York with offices across the United States, Europe and Asia. As of June 2018, the firm has assets under management of over $35 billion.
Headquarters: 666 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY, 10103, USA
The Baupost Group
8. The Baupost Group, established in May 1982, is one of the world's largest hedge funds controlled by billionaire Seth Klarman. The company does not manage assets on a non-discretionary basis. The Group amassed over $32 billion in assets under management. The company is located in Boston, Massachusetts, United States with an additional office in London, UK.
Headquarters: 10 Saint James Avenue, Suite 1700, Boston, MA 02116, USA
9. Winton Group Ltd, founded in 1997 by David Harding, is a British investment manager headquartered in London. It is one of the 10 biggest hedge funds in the world with over 400 employees and international offices in New York, San Francisco, Zurich, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Sydney and Shanghai. Winton advises on about $30 billion of assets for the largest pension funds, sovereign wealth funds and banks.
Headquarters: Grove House, 27 Hammersmith Grove, London, W6 0NE, United Kingdom
Phone: +44 20 8576 5800
10. BlackRock is a global investment manager with approximately $27 billion in assets under management across direct hedge funds. The total AUM across equity, alternative investment, cash management, fixed income, advisory strategies and real estate reached US$6.32 trillion at the end of March 2018. BlackRock manages over 60% of its long-term assets under management for clients in the Americas, 30% for clients in Europe, the Middle East and Africa and 8% for clients in Asia.
Headquarters: 55 East 52nd Street, New York, NY 10055, USA